A Few Guidelines for Driving/Transporting Youth
In addition to consulting the Diocesan Child Protection Policy,
you may wish to utilize form F.1-9 in the Directory for Catechesis
"Volunteer Driver Information Form."
1. Drivers must be over age 21 (if renting a vehicle, check the company policy which may be set for an older age like 25 or 26 for insurance reasons)
2. Drivers shall adhere to posted speed limits.
3. Drivers shall possess and provide proof of appropriate insurance
(coverage as stated under insurance guidelines $100,000/$300,000).
4. Drivers shall have a proper and current valid driver’s license.
5. Drivers must insure at all times that every passenger has a seat-belt
that is in use when ever the vehicle is moving.
6. Driver is responsible to see that the number of passengers never
outnumber the seats and seat belts provided for the vehicle.
7. For safety reasons, set a maximum drive time without a break for each driver at four hours.
8. Drivers should check over the vehicle at each stop, looking at tires,
gas, and under the hood for any possible problems.
9. Do not text or smoke while driving youth.
The responsible church leader should have a Driver’s form
on each driver who transports young people.